MS Access Hints, Tips & Videos

This is the stuff they don't tell you in books...

I have an environment with Office 2003 Pro installed on users machines and need to deploy 2007 runtime. I made a package and deployed on 4 machines for testing and each has same issue. When opening an older CRM package developed in 2003 the setup wizard for Office launches and goes through configuring for first time use. Then when going back to my 2007 app the 2007 setup starts and configures. I have tried pointing to version of access needed for each in command line of shortcut thinking ambiguity was at fault. But no. I have Google'd this many ways and see others that have this issue but no responses that offer solutions just sharing of the pain. I thought I would start posts in various Access sites in hopes that this can be explained and more importantly a viable solution offered. Oh, and the first to offer this viable solution will get a copy of our huge hard cover book on investing (Index Funds: The 12-step program for active investors.

Tags: 2003, 2007, Runtime, setup

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As far as I am aware, this is the fate of users with multiple versions of Access/Office installed, as the Windows registry settings have to be changed each time you use a different version.

Unless your users actually use Access 2003 to create databases, you might try un-installing it and using the Access 2007 runtime for all their Access databases, as Access 2007 supports legacy MDBs.
That's not the news I wanted to hear. You see, I tried running the apps that the users have used Access 2003 for under 2007 and they either lose some features (I large CRM with hooks to Outlook) or it runs poorly.
They need to switch back between 2003 and 2007. I am hoping someone somewhere has experience with how to setup the runtime so it does not share the common registry settings and such.
I do appreaciate your time in sending off a response though. Thank-you!
I downloaded the thinInstall from VMWare but even if this solution is a good compromise, I find it hard to believe that MS cannot have a solution for this. If I have a few days to devote to it I might look at comparing the values that updated in the registry when 2003 and 2007 run and see if an installation script could be created to prevent the reg keys from being shared in common (I believe this is the cause of the problem). But I do not have a few days to test a theeory and hope it produces results.
Daniel, you may be interesteded in this post today on the MS Access Team Blog, which addresses the deployment of Access 2007 runtime applications on PCs with other versions of retail Access in an interview with the MS program manager for the Access 2007 run-time: Runtime deployment questions. I am not sure there is a solution to your issue here, but I encourage you to post a comment to the article and see how the Access team responds.
Thank-you Tony.
If you go back to the MS Access Team Blog you will see I just posted two comments about this. The first comment was as a way or pointing to this site and the comments here about this issue, but the second one is one in which my frustration about this gets the better of me. I was so angry to read the way they dismissed this issue with a simple, and less than elogant work around that neither solves the issue for more than a single use, or addresses that yes, it is a glaring over sight and yes, we are aware of it and working on a solution for it. Arrgghh!!
Erwin (name reminds me of ERWin. See how many ol' timers know that one).

Your enthusiasm makes me suspect you have a stake in ThinInstall. I dL'd it a couple weeks back but have held off on trying the trial version as I am still dumbstruck on the pricing for this. I do not hear you mention any pain of the pricing so perhaps you work for a wealthy IT department or you have the tool for free being an evangilist for the product.

Did I mis-understand the cost of the product?

What are the fees associated with ThinInstall in your experience?
Ken Getz, Litwin,Gunderloy abandoned ACCESS?

I doubt it very much, what I would guess is they are moving on and taking an interest in .Net stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft bring MS Access and .Net much closer together in the future.

There is no doubt in my mind that MS Access is one of the best, (if not the best) rapid development tool in this area.
tony said:There is no doubt in my mind that MS Access is one of the best, (if not the best) rapid development tool in this area.

I agree with the above statement tony.

But MS will not will not bring Ms Access and .Net closer /together, why? Ms Access is a complex beast and .net developers will abandon their tools in favor of Ms Access.net, I think VBA will be around for the next 30 years and maybe we are retire already when vba.net will come out.

Nothing is impossible to Ms Access esp in Front End development.

I am a fan of ListView Control. share with you my simple ms access form with ListView alternating row color.

For those who haven't visited the MS Access Team Blog, this is their reply to Daniel (my emphasis):

"I don't think Neha intentionally tried to brush the issue aside. It has worked that way since at least Acc 2003. We have talked about the solution you propose but there are some concerns about possible regressions and other potential problems it might cause. We did take a fix in SP 1 that reduced the amount of time the wizard was up by several minutes. I'm not the expert in this area but I will follow up with the people that own the code in this area and see if there is a more radical solution. No promises but we will look at it again."
Has anyone tried this option? I found it while surfing.
To Run Access 2007 and Access 2003 on the same Machine:
CHANGE:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\Office Setup Controller\SETUP.EXE
TO:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\Office Setup Controller\SETUP_OLD.EX

Create a .bat file to add this key before executing Access 2003 again:
reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Access\NoRepairNeeded /f
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE"

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Members

© 2014   Created by TØny Hine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service